|join our mailing list|
|Join our mailing list to receive exclusive special offers and regular updates from freshfishdelivered
|Sprats - Small whole fish available during autumn and winter. Lovely and fresh and full of Omega3 oils.|
675g/1½ lb Sprats
Salt and Black Pepper
50g/2oz Plain Flour
Vegetable oil for frying
1 Large Onion, sliced
8 Fresh Sage Leaves
4 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
4 tbsp Water
1. Clean the fish thoroughly by lifting the gills away from the body and grasping the inner gills firmly between the thumb and forefinger. Pull sharply away an discard the gill parts. Rinse well under cold running water and part dry on kitchen paper.
2. Season the flour with salt and pepper and coat the fish well with the seasoned flour.
3. Heat the oil in a large deep pan until hot, add the fish, a few at a time, and fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan, add the sliced onion and fry gently until soft.
5. Add the sage, vinegar and water, bring to the boil and continue to boil for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
6. Place the fried sprats in a shallow serving dish and pour the hot onion and vinegar mixture over the top. Cover and leave to marinate in a cool place for 6-8 hours. Serve cold.
This recipe was taken with kind permission from www.recipes4us.co.uk